Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: This is the place to talk about wakeboarding in general
URL: http://www.gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9096
Printed Date: September 22 2019 at 4:31am

Topic: Bethy cut
Posted By: new2wake
Subject: Bethy cut
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:28am
We made our first trip out to the T yesterday. Man we have been missing out. Anyway, later in the day we decided to go find the Bethy cut and check everything out since we are staying there labor day weekend. Well we find the cut and start heading in. Right off the bat we hit the branch that is laying across the front of the cut heading into bethy. We were hung up on the branch so we had to get out of the boat so we could get passed. Well we eventually get it off the branch and continue to push up the the pvc sticking up. once we got to the pvc we were dragging bottom enough that we decided it was time to turn around and head back to the river. after we got back to deep water, there were a couple guys that came through the cut in a Haney ceter console bay boat with jack plate. We were talking to one of them and he was saying that they had a couple of 23' v-drives make it through the pass last weekend with no problems. We are in an AXIS A20 and couldnt seem to make it. I dont know if we just dont know what we are doing or if the water dropped enough in a week to make it difficult for v-drives.

FYI: the bottom is like quick sand the closer you get to the PVC. We were sinking up to our waist in the mud. Also there were a bunch of gator tracks on the bank in the cut.

Replies:
Posted By: jim.hendrix
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:35am
I feel your pain. I have a new Wakesetter that I DON'T want to bang up. I went through the Bethy cut in June for the first and last time. Even in June I was throwing a lot of mud. But even after you make the cut, their lake area is dangerous too. I put in at the Highway 19 bridge and stay out of Bethy now.

I wish they would get smart and dredge out the cut and their lake. If they did, I would go their every week. My experience was that they were a great group of people working there.

-------------
2011 Malibu Wakesetter VLX - Houston, TX

Posted By: rdlangston13
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 1:33pm
We were there in mid July and did not have any issues. We did throw some dirt and mud up behind the boat occasionally. It was noticeably lower than it was in may when were there last. However there is almost no debris in the river which is nice. I think until it rains we will use the Hwy 19 ramp

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 1:58pm
Yeah the river was bad Bootietang and we had no issues at the public ramp. Our plan for labor day is to use the public ramp. I wonder if the resort will give us our money back for the ramp fee.

Posted By: jmalibu
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 2:10pm
Guys just find someone who knows the cove and cut.....we went through last weekend in a SAN 226 with no issues.... it is possible.

-------------
"Life's to short to live it all in this town"

Posted By: olmoomba
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 2:45pm
I do it all the time in a epic 23v, I churn mud but it's all good. A map is On here with a safe route drawn out by Dave s I believe. If I can make it anyone can, I believe I have a deeper draft than anyone.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: goofyboy
Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 9:54pm
"churn mud"... hehe...

-------------
Yawn.

Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:33pm
churning mud wont screw anything up but the branch we were stuck on could surely screw a prop up.

Date Posted: August 06 2011 at 11:51pm
Nice Brian.....

I did get stuck bad, but I wasn't in the cut

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: August 07 2011 at 8:08am
Seeing the cut last weekend there is no way I would try to get through there in my boat now. It's super low and super narrow. As for dredging, from what I hear it has been tried but as soon as a flood comes down the river will push mud back up in there and you have wasted thousands of dollars. Keep in mind if you are running your boat that shallow your water intake for cooling is sucking up a bunch of silt and you can run into overheating issues if you get enough junk blocking water flow.

Date Posted: August 08 2011 at 8:28pm
That is a very good thought Larry....I worry about my prop all the time...but that would be cheap to fix compared to sucking mud into my intake. Thanks for the thought...and unintentionally "something else to worry about".

-------------

Posted By: Cajun_Misfit
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 10:57am
Inter-cooling System!

Now I'm glad I have one!

-------------
IM ON A BOAT... TAKE A LOOK AT ME!

Posted By: bmill6154
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 11:13am

Is Bethy Creek where everyone hangs out after they are done boarding or is there another cove people go too? We will be there Labor day and as low as it was I will not go through there again.

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 11:26am
Anybody headed that way this weekend? Looking to get some riding done! Been out of the water to long.

-------------

Posted By: Dave S
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 12:20pm
I guess I missed this thread yesterday? I was going to post a similar thread...

We are supposed to be up there next weekend. I also heard the cut was real low and as of last weekend another 22 vdrive had to get out and walk their boat through the cut. (Julie-chime in here)

I never used the ramp at 19 but heard there is no dock and trucks have been broken in at that ramp. Can anyone say otherwise? 

I have at least 3 more trips planned to stay at Bethy this year. I am a little nervous though as of now due to low water.

-------------
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 12:20pm
I think I will be up there Saturday... but I am going to have a boat full of kids again. The SS Daycare rides again. If anything changes I will let you know.

Posted By: Havoc
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 12:36pm
I went through in my Nautique last weekend and kicked up some mud, but we did not have any major issues. It's getting to the point where only one boat can go through at a time. There honestly is no permanent fix to the problem. My mom used to tell me that there used to be a cut off to the right of the current one that was like 25 yards across. She said she used to ski through it from the river to the lake, but that also fell victim to the silt build up. After that plugged up, we have the current narrow pass, but anyone who has seen the changed over the past 5 years knows the disaster that is in the near future. That island right by the cut was non existent like 2 years ago, now its all the way out of the water with plants growing on it. My opinion on the matter is not to dredge the cut, but to create a new one entirely off to the side. I feel like the one we use now is turning into a lost cause. Our only hope is to dig out a brand new cut and possibly even try to bulkhead it. I know it would cost alot of money, but if the residents on the Bethy Creek lake want river access, I fear that this may be the best option.

-------------
POSEIDON, LOOK AT MEEEE!!!!!

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 3:49pm
I have closed loop cooling as well and the damages that can be sustained can be minor to severe. Should you clog your system with silt, you will roast your impeller, if you do not catch it it time you will most definitely cook your exhaust hoses. You still pull raw water in to cool your coolant at the heat exchanger.

Ask Brian (who waded out to me), Tony (who waded out to me when he was able to stop laughing), Greg (who graciously towed us back to the dock), my wife or anybody that was around when this happened to me, not a great weekend but was salvaged!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: Jeweled
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 7:07pm
We were there this past Sunday in our Tige 22Ve with only 3 of us in the boat (not the usual 10 people and cases of beer) We have always made it through until Sunday. We were there two weeks prior and there was no problem. The water level has gone down just enough that unless you turn your boat off and have a jet ski pull you through or walk it like we did, it is not happening until we get rain. We have been launching at Bethy and going through the cut for over 5 years. The cut is fine, its just the water level right now is low. It has been hotter than normal... We have also put in on Hwy 19 bridge for many years, and never had a problem with our vehicles. Only one time has our riders vehicle got broken into, however they had a jeep with a soft top...hello knife and they were in... We now store our boat at Bethy but we will use the bridge until the water level rises again. It only needs about 2 feet and we will be good.

-------------
UFC Junkie/Realtor

Posted By: g.grissom
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 7:06am

Another option may be coming up soon.  I'm sure that some people have noticed the activity up at Bell's (that's the palce about 2-3 miles upriver from the 19 bridge on the right).  I don't know how soon they will be back in operation but they have been dredging and cleaning up so that may be good timing with the water down.

-------------
Hey Ma, if you could see me now... arms spread wide flipping over the open bow

Posted By: kevboard0825
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:14pm
OK guys I think I got something. The other jacks- of- all- trades can chime in at will. Lets think about the current cut. The entrance (from the river) is actually facing upriver at an angle which, when flowing would push mud and silt into it.  What if there were come way to change the angle of the entrance to point down river? That would keep stuff from flowing into the cut and the lake. Just a thought. I guess having that pile of trees there at one point kept this from happening. 

-------------
water? Where's the water!

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:44pm
I don't see why that wouldn't work. I also saw some wave runners coming out of that bells place

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:07pm
You are correct on both counts Dave S. In my opinion, the cut is low and scary to get through...but others here say they make it. As for the Highway 19 bridge, yes there have been trucks broken into there as well. On a weekend it is crawling with people and it you are unlikely to see trouble. I was there Tuesday and it was empty as church on Super Bowl Sunday.

-------------

Posted By: g.grissom
Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 9:06am
If any dredging was going to be done, a hydraulic study would be needed to make sure it lasted as long as possible.  The problem is that every time the river rises it pushes water and silt into the cove, and as it hits that wide open area the silt falls out. That will happen regardless of the design of the cut.  As for the cut itself, being narrow is actually good because the natural flow of water in and out and the boat traffic keeps it relatively flushed out. 
The entire North end of the cove near the cut that used to be 10'-15' deep is now 2'-3' at normal pool.  It took 37+ years to get to that point but it would not be practical to dredge the entire area.  Any channel that was dredged out into the cove would fill in pretty quickly. Bulkheading a channel out into the cove would only dump silt farther into the cove.  Sorry I don't have any real solutions, just trying to shed some light on what we are faced with. 

An attempt was made several years ago to get everyone on the cove to chip in for a dredge.  Some would have contributed and some would not.  The majority of property owners on the cove don't have inboard boats and can probably still get through the cut, if they can get their boat in the water.  The folks on the south shoreline (Lakeland) are close to not being able to drop their boats in, so being able to get through the cut is not so important to them. 

-------------
Hey Ma, if you could see me now... arms spread wide flipping over the open bow

Posted By: vette74
Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 10:55am
You would have to make a jetti into the river to slow it from silting in. Just like what is in Galveston.

-------------
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...

Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 11:25am
We just need rain or a bunch of brave inboards to cut a deeper channel in lieu of rain.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: vette74
Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 12:33pm
Park in the middle of the cut then tie your boat to trees on either side and slowly bring it up to full throttle.

-------------
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...

Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 1:22pm
You first.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 2:26pm
Can we PLEASE make this an open event! I will gladly park my boat about 30yards away, 12 pack in hand, and watch this go down! Anyone is free to join in with me on the "NO WAY IN HELL WILL I RELEASE 350 PONIES TIED TO A TREE" group.

HAHAHAHA but I love the ideas, keep em coming!

-------------

Date Posted: August 11 2011 at 2:27pm
Sounds like a great idea for those closed loop cooling guys

-------------

Print Page | Close Window