Forum Name: Tricks and Tips
Forum Discription: Giving and getting advice on wakeboarding
URL: http://www.gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9086
Printed Date: March 28 2020 at 8:53am

Topic: With or without the fins?
Posted By: bmill6154
Subject: With or without the fins?
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 8:59pm
Guys...Im pretty new to wakeboarding, pretty much started doing it seriously this year. Im getting decent, can jump wakes ok, edge ok, can switch foot etc. Is there any advantage of having the fins on the board?

I have a hperlite and I took the fins off now and I like it, but was wondering if it they will help me progress in anyway if I put them back on. Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,
Brandon

Replies:
Posted By: n.jones
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 9:35pm
i hate fins

-------------
- NORTH JONES -

Posted By: goofyboy
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 6:44am

All about rider preference.

-------------
Yawn.

Posted By: TexMic
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:19am
If you have fins on there, you get used to just turning/pointing the board and letting the fins direct you. It's kind of hard to get a feel for really edging the board. It's also easier to do surface spins and slides without fins.

I rode with them on until I got comfortable with the board then rode without them to learn to really edge and get comfortable with surface 360's and board control. I've got them back on now so that I can dig in harder for more speed since I'm trying to get better at jumping.

I think there are good and bad things about fins, it just depends on what you're trying to do. 

Posted By: Cajun_Misfit
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 10:23am
If you are riding without them now and are comfortable using the edge the board then i would keep them off. I would leave them on if you plan to learn riding both directions/switch (you will advance quicker learning to ride both directions). But like most people have said it personal preference.

-------------
IM ON A BOAT... TAKE A LOOK AT ME!

Posted By: hruzek
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 7:43pm

When your first learning to get up, use them. Once you are up and able to control the board then take them off and learn to ride without out them. Riding without the fins will force you to learn to edge.

-------------
I'm all over it like gravy on chicken fried steak.

Posted By: vette74
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 7:35am
Most people ride with fins. But taking fins off is good practice. If you learn to ride without fins then put them on you will be cutting like OJ Simpson.

-------------
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...

Posted By: olmoomba
Date Posted: August 05 2011 at 9:52am
I don't ride with fins, personal preference. I may be teaching wrong, but I teach people how to use their edge better without fins and then they can go back if they want.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Print Page | Close Window