Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: This is the place to talk about wakeboarding in general
URL: http://www.gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9078
Printed Date: September 16 2019 at 10:58am

Topic: Alligators
Posted By: 22vdrive
Subject: Alligators
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:16am
We all know we wakeboard in alligator infested waters. I wakeboard on the Trinity and some of the females refuse to get in the water due to the fact there are gators. Has anyone ever heard of a gator attack on a wakeboarder on our waters here in Houston?

-------------
Balls 2 Da Wall!!

Replies:
Posted By: olmoomba
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:47am
NOPE!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:50am
remind them to watch swamp people, show them the clips where the gators scatter when a boat comes. Also remind them that the Trinity is over 40ft deep, no worries. Tell them you will turn up the bass on the stereo when they get in, as the vibrations sent through the water will keep them at bay.
Gators are typically a solitary animal and don't like to socialize with the likes of rowdy wakeboarders.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: TexMic
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 1:35pm
I've never seen one in three years boarding on Lake Houston. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but they don't hang out where there are boats. I'd be more worried about other boaters.

The one time I was on the Trinity near Bethy Creek, I didn't see any either. And that wasn't for lack of looking.

Posted By: TxSkySki
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 1:47pm
I have been wakeboarding for over 10 years on Lake Houston and I have never seen a gator when riding. I was at the T a couple of weekends ago and we were hauling butt back to the HWY 19 launch from upstream. We were passing that small island where the stumpy cut-through is and I look over and see an 8-10 footer that slowly made it's way into the water as we passed. They're out there but I have never heard of any encounters or even close calls for that matter.

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 1:53pm
That's the 2nd sighting I have heard of in 4yrs that I recall on the T.

Heck I saw one on the side of the road, alive, on FM 2004 or 1764 heading to lake Jackson - not even near a bayou...go figure.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: n.jones
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 9:35pm
we usually see a couple on cedar bayou each year.

-------------
- NORTH JONES -

Posted By: kporsch
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 7:53am
I lived in Louisiana for 10 years prior to moving to Texas.  We used to wakeboard in swamps and bayous in some of the same places where they film swamp people.  We saw gators (sometimes huge) almost every time we went out but have never been bothered by them.  If you idle the boat towards one to get a closer look they always scatter.  We have talked to the owners of Mcgees landing (a places that gives swamp tours) and they have also never heard of anyone being attacked by a gator.  I'm not saying it can't happen but it is very very rare.  I have only seen a gator once on waters in or around Houston and it was small.

Posted By: TexMic
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 9:18am
Come to think of it, the one time I've seen a gator in this area in 11 years was in the small decorative pond at an uncles neighborhood. It wasn't very big and would swim away if it saw you walking towards it.

I have had one of my coworkers here tell me that she's heard that they've been spotted in a few neighborhoods in Atascocita lately near bayous. She hasn't seen one herself though.

Posted By: LawyerBoarder
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 10:22am
There are very large gators in Lake Houston. This gator was photographed chillin' just off the bulkhead behind our house over a week period during mating season in July of 2009.  We haven't seen her since. I hear she favors skiers for lunch but in a pinch/drought situation would settle for a wakeboarder. Just an unconfirmed rumor however. Smile

-------------
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 10:53am
Here are some pics of other creatures swimming in Lake Houston. My daughter caught the 11lb cat last weekend. My friend caught the 6.5 lb freshwater drum the same day. He missed the lake record for this species by only half a pound. Both fish were released unharmed to the alligators.

-------------
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 10:53am
I may have double posted. Admin pls delete the duplicate.

-------------

Posted By: RICHSUR
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 1:31pm
I have seen gators, beavers, deer, and all sorts or snakes in Lake Houston and have never heard of anyone getting attacked or even approached for that matter. I have seen quite a few gators on the T the biggest being about 12 feet while I was riding up to ollie it. At the time I thought it was a log, but when the boat passed it, it made a huge splash and headed under. I probably turned a very pale white and proceeded to go back across the wakes and just ride for at least a mile. So other than scaring myself nothing bad has ever happened.  Oh and you can ask Randall about the lg gator he was driving the boat.

-------------

Posted By: 22vdrive
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 2:36am
Nice story richsur I'm going to look twice before I ollie another log! I've seen two 8-10' gators in the short time I've been wakeboarding there. Thanks for all the posts I showed this to my g/f and she's more confident about getting in the water now!

-------------
Balls 2 Da Wall!!

Posted By: Dave S
Date Posted: July 27 2011 at 12:34pm
I worry more about the darn racoons at my trash dumpster more then gators, been boating here 7 years and have never seen a gator and only maybe 2 snakes.

-------------
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN

Posted By: Havoc
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 1:21am
I have seen my fair share of gators on the T, but I never see them on the weekends. I tend to see them when we go up during the middle of the week and nobody is on the river.

-------------
POSEIDON, LOOK AT MEEEE!!!!!

Posted By: roomservice
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 4:25pm
andy L lives on the water at lake Houston and uses city water to water his lawn. He says when he uses lake water he'd have to mow every day....makes you wonder what's in the water other than the big stuff you can see.

-------------
I remember thinking, "is that frisbee getting bigger?", and then it hit me.

Posted By: rdlangston13
Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 7:34pm
I have never seen a gator on the trinity but I have only been riding there since May and don't go as often as a lot of you.  I know that lawyer from Dallas killed that 15 footer or so way up river in Leon County.  My gfs family owns a lake house in white rock creek, maybe 12 or 15 miles by water from the bethy creek cut and there is supposedly a small 4 footer or so that lives in our cove.  I have never seen it yet though. 

We had a couple call Bethy Creek a day before our Moomba/Supra jam this year to cancel their reservations due to the fact that she saw that there were gators down here.  When they told her there is not refunds they came anyways and had a blast and are now trying to plan a trip back.

I never go upstream of the 19 bridge and last time we were there i cruised under the bridge and while under it felt like the boat hit something so i stopped and turned around.  Is there any advantage of riding upstream of the bridge as opposed to riding down streams?

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Posted By: Havoc
Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:51pm
Well if you go upstream which honestly is where everyone goes, you have more room to go. I have been both ways multiple times, but you can only go so far south because when you get around Carolina Cove it gets sketchy in my mind. But going north, you can run your boat out of gas on nothing but butter water.

-------------
POSEIDON, LOOK AT MEEEE!!!!!

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 7:37am
i usually just go south down stream with a rider for a few sets and when we swap riders we just turn around and go up river until we get to the bridge.  water is always butter and i dont mind turning around lol

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Posted By: RICHSUR
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 6:02am
We go north to bedias creek and south all the way to where the river empties into the lake no problems. Its deep both ways.

-------------

Posted By: jim.hendrix
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 9:25pm
We saw this 6 foot alligator on the Trinity this Saturday, July 30. He was north of the Highway 19 Bridge, just past the cut and in front of that old house boat. He was a very bold guy. I could get within 50 feet of him with my motor running then he would submerge. When I turned it off, he would surface a couple minutes later.

He was on bank initially but swam all the way across to the other bank after a bit. I had my little .380 with me and certainly would have left his carcass for the fish if it weren’t for the people on the bank watching. (It is illegal to shoot them in open waterways…but my thoughts are that the only good gator is a dead gator.)

I had heard that they were on the Trinity and of course I heard about the Dallas Lawyer and the 13 footer he killed. But I really thought that the gators would stay in the sloughs and swampy areas off the main channel.

So I came home and did even more research and I personally believe that the danger is so minimal that it is worth the risk.

The fact is that Somerville, Conroe, Livingston, Houston, and even Travis in Austin have alligators. You can’t get away from them living in this area. So you have a choice to face sharks in the ocean, alligators in fresh water, or stay on land.

I found out a lot of information before I came to the conclusion that I would allow my sixteen year old daughter to go in the water at Trinity again. Perhaps it helps that we have been there so many times. If I had known this for certain before we ever went, we may not have gone. But you just cannot beat the water for wakeboarding…smooth as butter and straight for miles.

There are two primary facts that I found out: 1) There has never been a fatal alligator attack in Texas and 2) There has never been any alligator attack on any water skier or wakeboarder.

So I applaud your efforts to find out more. I suggest you double check my facts, think about the potential risks, and come to a decision that makes you comfortable. Below are a couple of links you may want to check out.

We saw this 6 foot alligator on the Trinity this Saturday, July 30. He was north of the Highway 19 Bridge, just past the cut and in front of that old house boat. He was a very bold guy. I could get within 50 feet of him with my motor running then he would submerge. When I turned it off, he would surface a couple minutes later.

He was on bank initially but swam all the way across to the other bank after a bit. I had my little .380 with me and certainly would have left his carcass for the fish if it weren’t for the people on the bank watching. (It is illegal to shoot them in open waterways…but my thoughts are that the only good gator is a dead gator.)

I had heard that they were on the Trinity and of course I heard about the Dallas Lawyer and the 13 footer he killed. But I really thought that the gators would stay in the sloughs and swampy areas off the main channel.

So I came home and did even more research and I personally believe that the danger is so minimal that it is worth the risk.

The fact is that Somerville, Conroe, Livingston, Houston, and even Travis in Austin have alligators. You can’t get away from them living in this area. So you have a choice to face sharks in the ocean, alligators in fresh water, or stay on land.

I found out a lot of information before I came to the conclusion that I would allow my sixteen year old daughter to go in the water at Trinity again. Perhaps it helps that we have been there so many times. If I had known this for certain before we ever went, we may not have gone. But you just cannot beat the water for wakeboarding…smooth as butter and straight for miles.

There are two primary facts that I found out: 1) There has never been a fatal alligator attack in Texas and 2) There has never been any alligator attack on any water skier or wakeboarder.

So I applaud your efforts to find out more. I suggest you double check my facts, think about the potential risks, and come to a decision that makes you comfortable. Below are a couple of links you may want to check out.

http://databases.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/ftlaudGatorAttacks/ftlaudGatorAttacks_list.php - Alligator Attacks in Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States_by_decade - Alligator Deaths in U.S.

-------------
2011 Malibu Wakesetter VLX - Houston, TX

Date Posted: August 07 2011 at 10:18pm
saw a dead gator on the trinity today north of the 19 bridge.  looked to be pretty good size but he was upside down and up against the bank

-------------

Print Page | Close Window