Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: This is the place to talk about wakeboarding in general
URL: http://www.gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9054
Printed Date: September 16 2019 at 10:23am

Topic: Lake Houston update - it's not good
Posted By: LawyerBoarder
Subject: Lake Houston update - it's not good
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 6:10pm

Several friends have been asking about the conditions on Lake Houston with the drought, so with the holiday weekend upon us I thought I would post this as a PSA to all members:

Deussen Park: Sailboat ramp is closed. Main ramp is open but probably too shallow for anything but a pontoon or bassboat. I have seen wakeboats dredging through the mud and successfully launching as recently as last weekend. Had a friend bend his prop on his Tige launching there 3 weeks ago. I would be very cautious esp if you have a larger boat.

Lake Houston Marina - Ramp is closed. Looks like they were bulldozing the old ramp entirely as of earlier today.

USJ access from Lake Houston - There is virtually no water and there hasn't been for months. You would have more fun in a four wheeler in this area than a watercraft. A jetski could not make it through right now. A kayak might make it through if you push it through certain areas.

Kingwood ramp/USJ - I can't get up there but it was barely navigable when the water was 2-3 feet higher. I would think the KW ramp is closed but I have not verified.

Skier's cove - Money if you can get there. There are lots of stumps/shallow spots surfacing in the HUMP (middle of lake across from skier's cove).

Hope this helps. We should be out this weekend. Hit me up if you want a pull!

Mark

-------------
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.

Replies:
Posted By: olmoomba
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 8:41pm
From the photos I have seen of Kingwood ramp, it is better to hit that with a 4wheeler, the USJ has been reduced to a ditch with a huge beach on either side. The no wake buoy is sitting upright on the sand. Beyond not pretty, down right ugly.

Good luck to everyone this weekend, we are headed to MS to go do yard work and hunt squirrels at the grandparents farm.

BE SAFE guys!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: ProZachJ
Date Posted: June 30 2011 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the update... Sounds lame....lame and moe lame...

-------------
Purple hippos don't lie...this $#!* is addictive.

Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:06am
The upside for those of us on the lake is that there is no boat traffic.

Another upside is the water level is down below the bulkhead in many areas which means no rollers!

-------------
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.

Posted By: TexMic
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 8:37am
Thanks for the update! I put in on the 10th at Duessen and I could barely get near the dock without dragging, I had less than two feet under the keel. One of my buddies was wanting to try the sailboat ramp thinking that it might be deeper, but that's obviously not an option now

I don't know how accurate it is, but this site lists the water level for the lake. It's ugly!

http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp - http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Posted By: MichaelF44
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:38pm
Pics?

Posted By: new2wake
Date Posted: July 01 2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by LawyerBoarder

The upside for those of us on the lake is that there is no boat traffic.

Another upside is the water level is down below the bulkhead in many areas which means no rollers!

so where do you plan to launch? we were gonna try duessen on monday.

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 6:25am
I live on the lake so the boat ramp closures are a nonissue. But if I had to launch Deussen is really the only option other than perhaps some of the private neighbohood ramps.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:19pm
I live on the lake so the boat ramp closures are a nonissue. But if I had to launch Deussen is really the only option other than perhaps some of the private neighbohood ramps.

hook us up bro.

Posted By: silvtongdvl
Date Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:40am
we found a place to launch - had the dam - newport area all to ourselves and it was smoooooooooth. Best water weekend ever !!!!!  

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:27am
Update: Lake Houston now officially down 6 ft. and still dropping at a good clip.

-------------

Posted By: c640947__
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 1:58pm
Sorry, I keep hearing people say this 6 feet statistic.  According to the website I use, it is down roughly 4 feet.  Doesnt sound like much, but thats a big difference on a shallow lake like lake houston.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08072000&agency_cd=USGS - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08072000&agency_cd=USGS

I believe this is the cause for the 6 foot statistic.  They changed the standard guage height per the wording below on the link above.

"Datum of gage changed from 0.70 ft below NGVD 1929 to NAVD 1988, 2001 adjustment, on Oct. 1, 2009. New datum is 2.77 ft below previous datum."

Normal level is 42-42.5 and we are around 38.

-------------
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:01pm
Scott - where did you find to launch? 

I was there cleaning up around my dock Saturday and saw the crazy looking stump field in the middle of the lake.  Not a soul on the entire lake.  Smooth as glass.  I will be there next weekend and will have to take my better camera and get some pics.  Pretty crazy looking.  That will be right after I mow the grass under my dock.  :-(

-------------
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:10pm
Andrew - they must have changed the def of normal. I guarantee the level is down 6 ft YTD. I monitor the USGS site as well. It will allow you to chart 120 days. if you do, it will show the water being down 4 ft. See below. The water was going down long before March 26. I dont think there is any place to launch a wakeboat on Lake Houston right now. it is like having a private lake if you can get on the water.

Graph of  Gage height, feet

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:13pm

Here is the site that says Lake Houston is down 6.1 ft.:

Water Level
FEET

Monday, July 18, 2011
10:03:00 AM
Level is 6.10 feet
below full pool of 44.00

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:46pm
Attached are the statistics from USGS for the last 3 years. 

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/dv?cb_00054=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&begin_date=2008-07-17&end_date=2011-07-17&site_no=08072000&referred_module=sw - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/dv?cb_00054=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&begin_date=2008-07-17&end_date=2011-07-17&site_no=08072000&referred_module=sw

Notice the pool storage level didn't change, but the guage height dropped 2 feet in fall of 2009 on one day?  The statement below shows they just changed how they were measuring the guage height but the lake level didn't change:

"Datum of gage changed from 0.70 ft below NGVD 1929 to NAVD 1988, 2001 adjustment, on Oct. 1, 2009. New datum is 2.77 ft below previous datum."

Notice how the normal level of the guage since fall of 2009 is roughly 42.5?  They basically adjusted the measuring point down 2.77 feet.  The actual level of the lake didn't change in fall of 2009 and most will agree last winter (Jan/Feb 2010) the lake was at normal levels.  It started dropping in March and noticeably by April.

So believe what you will,but I am pretty sure we are down 4 not 6 feet.  Plus I know the "new" shore line would be a heck of a lot further out from my place if we were down 6 feet.  (hope we get there though - i want to do some stump burning.)

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 3:17pm
This is an issue I want to be wrong on.

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 3:23pm

Posted By: Dave S
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 5:57pm
may not even be possible at this point because the water is to low but someone measure down from a dock that has a known watermark elevation to the current water surface elevation, then you will get water drop regardless of datum referenced. let's see what that is.

-------------
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 6:13pm
Spring Creek has risen about 3 foot... in grass. We have been getting some rain on the north side but I think we need another Allison to come through here to make things right. Thank goodness for the T!

Posted By: n.jones
Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:31pm
i am so glad that i wakeskate in cedar bayou!

-------------
- NORTH JONES -

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:57pm
Here's a pic I took at the KW ramp June 16th FWIW:

I haven't been back since, but I'm sure that it looks worse now. Supposedly the level was 38.8 MSL on June 16th.

Date Posted: July 18 2011 at 9:29pm
Wow I want to see some current pics of the USJ and Lake Houston if anyone has them. We were at Whitney this past weekend and it was pretty dang low. I had to walk the boat a good 50 yards off the ramp to get to waist deep water. You can see where the water line should be in this shot. On the up side, we scored a super nice beach out of the new lake level!

Date Posted: July 19 2011 at 8:21am
Way to go with the silver lining Larry!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by TexMic

Here's a pic I took at the KW ramp June 16th FWIW:

So who's going to join me on the shovel brigade to get the cut dug out while its this low?

-------------

Posted By: goofyboy
Date Posted: July 20 2011 at 8:47pm
waste of time.  it will fill back in after the first flood.

-------------
Yawn.

Posted By: Suzanne
Date Posted: July 21 2011 at 8:46am
damn. this sucks.  How can all the rivers here be flooded and the reservoirs still high and you guys have this?  Maybe because all of our extra water goes to the freaking golf resorts and spas in Arizona. :(

-------------
Find your wings...
www.akinz.com

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:04am
I stopped by the KW ramp this morning, this is what it looks like now:

Looks like the creek is making a decent channel right there. Maybe it will help some.

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:13am
WOW. You Kingwood guys are going to be mowing the grass with your props once the water comes up.

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 12:33pm
My brother went by duessen the other day and said there is no way he would attempt it. Said on of the no wake bouy's was laying on its side.

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 12:45pm
This is unbelievable!

-------------

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 12:47pm
Man if I remember correctly those bouys are typically in 7-8ft of water??   

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 12:53pm
could be worse - could be lake travis. down 40ft. Midland will have to start trucking in drinking water if they don't get rain soon. Their lake nearest lake 1 1/2 hrs away is nearly dried up all together with no other sources. We still have the trinity river and salt water riding at least.

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: July 22 2011 at 1:11pm
And if droubt isn't bad enough now we have to worry about zebra mussels!
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYf_RVsRrY

Posted By: goofyboy
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 6:46am
Lake Travis down 40 ft only affects the people that have to use the ramps.  Those on the main lake with long enough lines / stairs to their boat houses get to enjoy a more empty lake.

Now, the perd is dry and that is sad.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPe9aGMEpB4&feature=player_embedded - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPe9aGMEpB4&feature=player_embedded

-------------
Yawn.

Posted By: Suzanne
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 9:57am
Wow. this is so sad.  Is there any backup they can start pumping water from since Lake Texoma has zebra mussels?  It's so strange to watch the video of the Per and Lake Travis.

The zebra mussels thing sucks so bad too... we have to get a ranger to tag our boat and inspect it on the way in and out of all of the water in CO because of them.

-------------
Find your wings...
www.akinz.com

Posted By: skyski_tige
Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:31am
Well...  Anybody read the paper yesterday?  They announced that Lake Houston is buying about a foot and a half of water from Lake Conroe.   You should have better riding conditions soon.

-------------
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:37am
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/article_0e996e41-0b3a-5e6c-bbef-fa0aed07e0fd.html - http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/article_0e996e41-0b3a-5e6c-bbef-fa0aed07e0fd.html

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:19am
Originally posted by goofyboy

Lake Travis down 40 ft only affects the people that have to use the ramps.  Those on the main lake with long enough lines / stairs to their boat houses get to enjoy a more empty lake.

Now, the perd is dry and that is sad.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPe9aGMEpB4&feature=player_embedded - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPe9aGMEpB4&feature=player_embedded

That was depressing

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 10:43am
Here are a couple of pics of my now 300 ft of beach. The beach has been exposed long enough for grass to start growing. Grass needs to be mowed! The kids and i have cleaned up the beach and built a mini Aggie bonfire with the trash. 

-------------

Posted By: RICHSUR
Date Posted: July 26 2011 at 1:37pm
I love how news gets the fork of the river wrong, its the west fork.

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 9:46am
My buddy took some pics at Duessen last night. No good.

And now TS Don looks like it's going to head more south. Boo.

Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 1:28pm
Let's all hope we get some good rain from TS Don.

Posted By: rdlangston13
Date Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:03pm
Looks like Don hit south texas and immediately dried up.  this is just depressing, I think after this drought the state needs to look into building some kind of desalinization plant to pump water to reservoirs from the gulf.  there is a new big storm trying to organize in the atlantic, i think this is one year where the people are praying for a hurricane 

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Date Posted: July 31 2011 at 8:16pm
great pictures everyone!

I took this July 29, it's the cut to the kingwood ramp lol

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 7:15am
Originally posted by rdlangston13

i think this is one year where the people are praying for a hurricane 

I know I have been. LOL! I've mostly just been praying for a large slow moving tropical storm. We don't need wind damage just rain.

Oh well, at least I'm trying to make the best of it. I polished and waxed the port side the boat over the weekend. It's so shiny! But man that's a lot of work.

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 9:46am
Interesting read.

- http://app1.kuhf.org/articles/1312177461-Drought-Lowers-Lake-Houston,-Strands-Boaters.html

"We're about 6 or 7 feet from exposing one of the intakes. And Public Works I'm sure would like to keep some kind of 3-5 foot buffer over their intake so they can continue to draw water off of Lake Houston."

old railroad surfacing.

Posted By: bmill6154
Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 3:54pm
Guys...im sorry...this is all my fault...I buy my first boat of my life and a drought hits....I have also had super bad luck with my boat so far...dead ECM first 2days got it, blown speaker, hit the garage door of my storage unit twice now, because I was pulling in/out by my self and forgot to put the door all the way up. Tore my bimini the second time and killed the roll up door...luckily the door was fixable only cost $80 to pay for the hours the storage maint. spent, the bimin on other hand will cost around $300 ive been told...luckily its not too bad just annoying....but I really beleive karma has done a number on me...not sure what I did wrong though

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by TexMic

old railroad surfacing.

That's a sketchy rail right there

Date Posted: August 01 2011 at 4:57pm
Wow bmill, that's some bad luck! I hope things start looking up for you. I would have been pretty sad to have a drought like this my first year.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a few issues with my boat when I first got it too. The first day I had it out, I found the huge bolts on the Duessen dock. I mean literally just left the dealer, put in at the lake, tied it up at the dock and scratched it. :( Man I felt stupid. I've got huge fenders now, but I just choose to never dock there.

Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by bmill6154

...not sure what I did wrong though

You purchased a BRAND NEW boat for your FIRST boat....JK

I had a ton of issues with my first boat but it was an older DD Moomba. Once I figured it all out, I got a new one!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: kporsch
Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by bmill6154

Guys...im sorry...this is all my fault...I buy my first boat of my life and a drought hits....I have also had super bad luck with my boat so far...dead ECM first 2days got it, blown speaker, hit the garage door of my storage unit twice now, because I was pulling in/out by my self and forgot to put the door all the way up. Tore my bimini the second time and killed the roll up door...luckily the door was fixable only cost $80 to pay for the hours the storage maint. spent, the bimin on other hand will cost around $300 ive been told...luckily its not too bad just annoying....but I really beleive karma has done a number on me...not sure what I did wrong though

Welcome to boat ownership!!!

Posted By: bmill6154
Date Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:57am
Yep...brand new...its kinda my style...I m not big on buying anything used...partly because of warranty...super glad I did in this case...although I had hell getting the ECM covered, I am finally getting my money back on that after two months and calling the manufact my self.

Although I have had all the these problems I love the boat and I am glad I bought it.

KPORSCH...Yeah I kinda knew what I was getting into...I have friends and family that have owned boats all their life. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:22pm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7682686.html - Falling lake levels raise concern

Along the shores of Lake Houston and Lake Conroe, many landlocked boat docks lead to nowhere while grassy islands and sandbars sprout where water once flowed.

Pieces of an old railroad, long hidden by the ample waters of Lake Houston, are suddenly visible.

Now both lakes may soon enter uncharted territory as the incessant drought and searing temperatures continue to deplete these two reservoirs' precious water supplies.

Pilings from a 2-mile-long abandoned railroad trestle that crosses Lake Houston are now visible. Houston Police Lake Patrol officer Gary Crawford readies them for removal on Wednesday.

Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:24pm
one cool thing from this - removal of underwater hazards!

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: roomservice
Date Posted: August 04 2011 at 2:36pm
A couple years ago, during their drought, a guy cut down a bunch of usually submerged trees at Lavon in Dallas not realizing that those trees were state property. He got in big trouble.

-------------
I remember thinking, "is that frisbee getting bigger?", and then it hit me.

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 7:43am
I heard on the news last night they are supposed to start taking water from Conroe to refill Houston starting today.

Posted By: vette74
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 9:13am
I read that in the Houston Comicle also. They said that is one of the reason lake conroe is there is to be a secondary water supply for the City of Houston.

-------------
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...

Posted By: Kamighazi
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:36am
So Kevin and I took the opportunity, the other week, to give the river a little hair cut. There were plenty of stumps to trim. We got as much as we could.

It wasnt exactly easy going wide open on a chain saw 1 inch from the water while perched on the back of the jetski floating around the stumps. (dont try this at home kids) Most of which though we could get while standing in about waist deep water, pretty sad.

Tell you what though, seeing some of the stumps exposed in person. There are most defiantly dead man zones that i would NEVER try anything at, spooky.

Kevin post up some of those stump pics.

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:47am
what did you do with the dismembered parts? Will they be floaters when we get rain or mulch for the bugs in the woods?

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: Cajun_Misfit
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:24pm
Just watched the 12 o'clock news. Lake Conroe has begun releasing water to Lake Houston. They say that they expect Lake Houston to be at full pool by Friday!

Also Lake Houston will be releasing water near the end of the week for irrigation reasons. More importantly the LSJ will be getting some much needed fresh water!

TIME TO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
IM ON A BOAT... TAKE A LOOK AT ME!

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:29pm
http://www.khou.com/news/Officials-50-million-gallons-of-Lake-Conroe-to-be-released-into-Lake-Houston-due-to-drought-127825218.html

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:50pm
This would also fill the usj????

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Posted By: Kamighazi
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:50pm
Full pool by Friday? I'll believe it when i see it. Anyone got a shredder so we can mow the grass on USJ, in case it is true?

Fred- YUP! haha

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 1:56pm
I agree with you but that's what the "officials" are claiming.

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:34pm
Once the water flows into LH and LC shuts the gates the USJ will dry right back up. Right?

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by ProZachJ

Once the water flows into LH and LC shuts the gates the USJ will dry right back up. Right?

Eventually....

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:10pm
I'd be in heaven if it was full pool by Friday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Very rough guestimation and possibly completely wrong math here:
LH Surface area 11,854 acres
LC Surface area 21,000 acres

LH Surface area is 56% of LC. If LC sends 1 inch of its water surface area down river to LH, it would raise LH by 1.77 inches. So 6 inches of water from LC per week is roughly 10.6 inches. Not even a foot. We'd need about 5 or 6 feet by Friday.

Hopefully we'll see the trend here:

Posted By: kporsch
Date Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:21pm

The engineer in me also broke out the calculator with similar guestimates that you made.  They plan to let out 3.5 in per week at Conroe which would only fill lake Houston at a rate of 6 in per week.  So 14 weeks to fill Houston back up, but all the reports I have seen say they only plan to let out enough water to keep the level about the water intakes (37 ft MSL).

Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 5:48am
Yes I think the officials have their numbers wrong, also if the lake is full the usj is also full because it is part of the lake for all intensive purposes. Its crazy to see how much more the water has gone down in the last couple of weeks with the constant 100 degree temps. I would say at least 1.5 ft in a matter of two weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 5:52am
Kevin would the volume of lake conroe to lake houston have any effect, I know the volume of lake conroe to lake houston is much greater because the average depth of lake conroe is quite a bit more than lake houstons depth, so 1 inch from conroe may fill houston up more.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 10:56am
Given how much we are down, I think its a forgone conclusion that the summer is over for anyone wanting to ride the USJ.

That being said, there is a bright spot in some posts above and what I have seen on the news: debris clearing.  So it sounds like some of you guys are working on stumps on the way to the river around the island and on the river itself?  Is there more that needs to be done up there?

Now visible south of the railroad tracks is a long row of 30-50 stumps that I plan to start working on this or next weekend.  However, the priority would be stumps on the river since that is where people hit them most.  But if you guys took care of most of them, ill focus on the ones on the lake.  I planned on lighting them on fire - they are on a new island in the middle of the lake.  No chance of the fire spreading from there.

Anyone know how aggressive the lake houston police are in removing stumps?  They shouldn't have much else to do right now....

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:38pm
Let this drought be a lesson to the city and the state.  We have a near unlimited water supply just south of Houston known as the Gulf of Mexico.  Now this supply does have salt in the water but the salt can be removed.  We need to start building desalinization plants to help maintain reservoir level and supply water in times of drought. 

-------------
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.

Date Posted: August 18 2011 at 9:03am
This would be nice if they did it.

- http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2011/08/poe-wants-lake-houston-dredged/

Date Posted: August 18 2011 at 3:23pm

Let this drought be a lesson to the city and the state.  We have a near unlimited water supply just south of Houston known as the Gulf of Mexico.  Now this supply does have salt in the water but the salt can be removed.  We need to start building desalinization plants to help maintain reservoir level and supply water in times of drought. 

They would also need to filter the oil...

SJRA have increased the flow.  100M gallons per day now.  If no significant rain this year, city of Houston could take 3 feet by end of 2011.  That would put Lake Conroe down 7 feet going into 2012. 

-------------

Posted By: kevboard0825
Date Posted: August 19 2011 at 4:43pm
The Bayou yesterday was cool, smooth, and not very salty at all. I don't see the problem. LOL! but seeing as LH was my old spot, I hate that all of you are out of luck. 

-------------
water? Where's the water!

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by skyski_tige

They would also need to filter the oil...

i work in the gulf, i aint seen a drop of oil since may 2010.  in fact i see 50 feet straight down to our pontoons.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 9:23am
I went out exploring the sandbars on my jetski yesterday and found a wallet on one of them. Turns out it had two twenties and five hundred dollar bills in it. Unfortunately it also had an ID, CC's and a SS card which made it easy to determine that it belongs to someone who lives nearby in Water's Edge. This dude is going to be shocked when i contact him.

On another note does anyone know why if they are letting water out of Conroe the lake levels have not risen? I have not been following the latetst.

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 7:52am
Kudos to you for doing the right thing man! One time my wife forgot her purse on the bus, a rider brought it to the driver and the driver brought it to our house. Makes you feel good to know that there are honest good people in the world.

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 9:59am
At first I thought you said five hundred dollar bills and well you could guess where I thought he was going. hahaha

I agree if they are letting water out its evaporatin before it gets to Lake Houston.

-------------

Posted By: silvtongdvl
Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 2:45pm
Still going down - lost 1ft of shore line last week. I have about 8ft left before my boathouse is high and dry.  Raccoons are having a field day eating all the clams. The bug population is WAY down too.

Great for neighbors putting in new bulkhead.

Saw a few of guys on the lake saturday and sunday morning with chainsaws cutting stumps.

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 3:14pm
not seeing it in Lake Houston, I imagine because the river bed is soaking it up like a sponge...

-------------
Respect ma authoratah!

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 8:46am
Looks like the lake measurements are just starting to show a change. LH seems to be leveling out, while LC takes a dip.

The dry riverbed may be soaking it up or they may be gradually opening it to just get what they need to keep the intakes under water.

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:50am
Looks like the image upload may not be working.

The graph at http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp shows that the lake level is coming up slightly. It's also apparent when I go on my jogs near the lake that there is foliage under water now. On the north end of the lake the water appears to be up a few inches at least.

I haven't been to river grove in a while, but I bet it's looking better than it did though still probably not anywhere near usable.

I wonder how long it takes for this incoming water to register at the dam on the south end.

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 2:52pm
Right now the river is slowly filling, at the point where the river empties into the lake it is almost like a dam, Kevin said there is no channel to lake at all so when it finally gets over that point the lake will start filling.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2011 at 8:19am
On the South end of the lake there has been little change in water level. The most interesting thing to me is the complete lack of boat traffic. Last weekend I saw a handful of jetskis. I see an occasional bass boat trolling by. Sheriff's boat cruises by infrequently. The lake is almost completely dead. The usual spots (skier's cove) are deep enough to ride. You just can't get there. Deussen Park ramp looks completely closed. I have not checked on any other ramps lately but I doubt any are open.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window