HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Donations for fire victims at fall bash Post Reply Post New Topic
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dave S Replybullet Topic: Donations for fire victims at fall bash
    Posted: September 07 2011 at 8:00pm

As we all know central Texas and even closer to Houston has had disastrous fire damage and some people lost everything. I am putting some feelers out there to see who would be interested in donating anything to people who have lost everything. Just an idea so far, but since we are all going to spend a lot of money on gas, beer etc. how about while you are shopping for fall bash grab a few extra cases of water, gatorade, and/or non-perishable food and bring it along or any other supplies you think may be needed. Depending on when everyone thinks they will get there and can bring something, I will volunteer to run all the supplies in my truck and make a drop early Saturday morning, Sunday morning or sometime Sunday afternoon. Or if anyone else is coming from the west side of town and wants to make a drop that would be great also. If we have enough interest, I will start to look and see where we can make a drop of supplies on the west or northwest side of Houston.

Edited by Dave S - September 07 2011 at 8:01pm
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN
IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: September 11 2011 at 6:25am
With 30 views and not one post, I guess we as club members will not be donating anything. With no repsonses yet, I do not plan on making a run during fall bash.
IP IP Logged
Cobia5
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Cobia5 Replybullet Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:00am

I can bring an extra case of water and try to pick up a few canned food items to support the effort.

Thank you for offering to assist, although please save your gas by delivering only when convenient or in conjunction with another trip.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale
Kyle
IP IP Logged
ibusthard
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote ibusthard Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 6:42am
I'd like to help donate for this.  Dave, if you're still willing (or maybe this will be a game day decision) to run the load down there, I'd be happy to bring some extra water and canned goods.  With as much food and beer we normally have at fall bash, I would imagine that more people would be willing to share a little for the people that protect us, and for the unfortunate families that have no home to return to.  Come on guys, dig into your wallets and find those extra few bucks.  heck, bring one less six pack or 12 pack to fall bash and that could help a family more than you can imagine.  You'll be proud you did when Dave rolls up with a truckload of stuff from the whole club.
I'm a little tea pot...
IP IP Logged
goofyboy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote goofyboy Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 6:47am
Would you mind taking clothes as well??  I have a few bags that I would like to donate, but didn't have a clue as to where to take them.
Yawn.
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 7:20am
Dave, first off thanks for posting this and offering to help gather and deliver supplies.  As someone personnally affected by the fires (had to evacuate for 6 days but no damage to my property or house) I can say that there is a need to help the folks out that either lost everything or are still under evacuation. 

My church, The Grove in Magnolia (http://www.thegrovetx.org/#/the-grove), is partnered with the Society Of Samaritans (http://societyofsamaritans.com/) to assist the fire victims in that area. Some of you may have heard the benefit that 93Q hosted at Firehouse yesterday to collect for SOS. There was a great response but the aftermath of the fires has just begun.  They have current needs listed on the web site so please consider either supplies or a monetary donation.

Also, there is still a threat that the fires could start spreading again.  The containment is listed as about 65%, but fortunately there have been no large flare-ups since Friday night.  The fire fitghters continue to work on hot spots 24 hours a day, and even at the current status it could be at least another week before the area will breathe easier.

Brian and Tony, as of this weekend, SOS was not taking any more clothing, they have plenty for now but other organizations may be accepting them. 

Thanks again Dave and all who offer to help.
Hey Ma, if you could see me now... arms spread wide flipping over the open bow
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 7:26am
Just as a general note regarding clothing donations, it is really, really, really helpful if you separate out and stack the mens/womens clothing and even by type (pants, shirts, shorts, etc). It makes it so much easier to sort. The places like SOS have to separate out everything kinda like at a store so it's easier for people to find what they need.

Did I mention that it's reeeeeeally helpful to separate the clothes? Clap

IP IP Logged
ibusthard
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote ibusthard Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 7:27am
I have a bunch of clothes and several pairs of shoes that I want to get rid of too.  Let me know if you can take those Dave.
I'm a little tea pot...
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 12 2011 at 8:06pm
IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: September 14 2011 at 11:56am
The website as posted above has an excellent list of items that can be donated and here again http://societyofsamaritans.com/ I called today on my lunch break and spoke to someone who also has an updated list that may help...

-no clothes, fruit, veggies
-need cooking oil, flour, sugar, coffee, mac n cheese, corn meal, soup, crackers, tuna, romen noodles, detergent, water, gatorade in addition to toiletries

If a lot of people bring items up to donate, I will make a trip to this place, however looking at the location, it may be a good hike to depart from Fall Bash with intents on returning and/or tow the boat to that location to make a drop Sunday afternoon on the way home. I do not want to run up there for a just a few things-my thoughts now...

Still feel free to bring anything to be donated, hopefully in some sort of bag or box, not loose. I will plan on making a run up there next friday the 23rd. I got off at 12 on friday. I would prefer no monetary donations. Depending on how much is donated or lack thereof, I may also then post something at my office next week to make the most of the trip and take up as much supplies as possible. I informed the person on the phone that I may only make it up there later next week and she said that was ok, there is still a lot of people that are displaced.

Look for the Blue Ford F-150 crew cab with the Blue n White Tige behind it. Can't miss it. It will most likely be parked behind the cabin area, as we will be in a cabin.
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 14 2011 at 2:33pm
Dave, depending on how much there is, I can bring it back Sunday, I've been to both SOS locations and my church works closely with them.

IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 14 2011 at 6:14pm
thanks again for your efforts, Dave.  I've seen some of the people impacted by the fires outside Magnolia.  If you want to see a small slice of the events and people during that week...

again, this is just a small sample of what happened during the week.  The fire started about 3:00 Monday afternoon, and with the dry North winds, it quickly got out of control and ultimately burned almost 19,000 acres and about 65 homes. 

If you don't want to bring supplies, any monetary donation can be used for immediate needs by S.O.S. so please consider helping out.

Thanks,
Greg

IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: September 14 2011 at 6:55pm
Greg, If you want to take the supplies that is ok with me. I live in Clear Lake and keep the boat on the east side of town and was havig trouble figuring out the logisitics of getting the supplies there. I will most likely still do the same thing at work next week to try and keep this going.

Let us know what you are driving and when you will be around so we can bring our supplies to your vehicle. 
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: September 15 2011 at 7:36am
I'll be around Friday mid-day until Sunday morning.  I've got a house on Bethy cove close to the marina and will be in a white/green Sanger V-210.  Not sure which vehicle I'll be in at the marina, I'll see ya'll over at the pavillion Friday or Saturday and we'll figure it out.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version