HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Bovine in the River! Post Reply Post New Topic
ditch lobster
Recruit
Recruit

Online Status: Offline
Quote ditch lobster Replybullet Topic: Bovine in the River!
    Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:37am
This was our 2nd trip to the river and 1st trip to the river in our own boat. So that being said, This story starts not long after we got in the water 2 Saturdays ago.  We left from the bridge on 19 and headed up river following my wife's cousin in his X2. We stop and put my daughter in and let her ride 1st and as we began catching up to my wife's cousin in his boat we see him off to the side anchored up with some other guys in a lime green Nautique and we didn't know quite what to expect as we came up to them (By the way we had just put my daughter in the water and it was her 1st time to finally get up and ride for a good while and I had to dump her...she was not to happy with me...LOL) So, as we are slowing down to see why Micha had stopped. We see him in the water along with 3 other guys and a BIG BLACK BOVINE laid over on her side and stuck in the mud. The cow had a tow strap around her neck that some other people had put around her neck and used to try and get her out but I guess they gave up and left her. So, it took 4 of us guys pulling with 1 guy in the Nautique driving close to the bank throwing up a pretty nice wake I might add (LOL) that we where using to help float the cow up to the shore. The cow was surfing her way to safety along with a little help from us. In closing the cow was left safe and sound on the shore on hard packed ground. She was on her knees...exhausted but alive and when we came by at the end of the day she was gone. There is no doubt she would have drown if we didn't help save her. I dont remember the names of the guys in the Nautique but a big thanks goes to you guys and I am glad Micha and I could help out. If you guys see this I was the guy with the 23' Green Maristar, and Micha was in the Black/Silver X2. It turned out to be a great day at the river...not so much for my truck but I will save that for another post.

This is needless to say but we love the river and the people on it. We are looking forward to the Fall Bash and we will see all you guys on the water this weekend.

Here are a few pics and a little video. There is better video but its on the other Iphone. I will see if they can email me the video and the pics are not loading well. I will get them up though.

http://youtu.be/1zZanaP_8gA

Edited by ditch lobster - August 17 2011 at 3:45pm
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:43pm
she would have become gator food for sure
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
jim.hendrix

Quote jim.hendrix Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 9:37pm
You guys are heros...not just for saving the cow but for being the type of people that would care enough to take time out of your day and risk injury in order to help a defenseless creature. I'm proud to ride the river with you fine folks!
2011 Malibu Wakesetter VLX - Houston, TX
IP IP Logged
TXturboKO

Quote TXturboKO Replybullet Posted: August 24 2011 at 10:15am
It was me and a couple of new friends of mine in the Green Nautique.  It was also their first trip to the T and surely one none of us will forget. 

The Story:

We spotted the cow stuck in the deep mud of the river bank and looked at each other and knew we were going to try to save her.  When we got close, we quickly found out it was worse than we anticipated. The mud surrounding her was all torn up from the abandoned efforts of another group.  She looked like she may have been stuck for at least a day and had less than half of her strength left.  We quickly decided there was no other way to free her other than getting her in the water and moving to a more firm area to get her back up to dry land.  We started digging around her front legs, which were driven directly in the mud up to her chest.  Once we cleared the suction, we proceeded to attempt prying her hind end up to get her back feet under her(back feet were on more solid ground), so she could help us help her out of the mud hole.  She had nothing to give...

Next plan, dig her whole chest out, tow strap, and Super Air Nautique.  It worked!  We had her free of the mud, but we hadn't found that more solid place to get her up on dry land.  Keep in mind at this point there are only three of us and the chances of us moving this cow anywhere out of the water are slim to none.  So we are scrambling around trying to find a place we could encourage her to get herself up the bank and luckily "ditch lobster" and his crew stopped to help.  We moved her down to a point at the mouth of a backwater cut, where there was a good section of hard bank and, after some maneuvering,  we played a little 4 against 1 tug of war.  The 4 won and she was on dry hard land.

We had to head out and I figured I would never know if she had enough in her to get up and live, but it sounds like she did it. 

Big thanks to ditch lobster and his crew, we couldn't have done it with out you guys.

Great day on the water!
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: August 24 2011 at 10:57am
One of the coolest stories I have read in a while.
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
ditch lobster
Recruit
Recruit

Quote ditch lobster Replybullet Posted: August 25 2011 at 8:30am
We were glad to help TxTurbo my son has some other pics and I will get them up here as well. We ended up having a great day on the water but when we left that day which was around 7pm. I loaded the "Ole" Mastercraft on the trailer and took a left on 19 headed back to League City when about 3 miles down the road one of the cushions in my boat tried to blow out so we stopped on the side of the road to fix it and when we got back in the truck to leave...no forward gears, only reverse. My tranny went out and I just had it repaced exactly 2yrs ago. So, if any one saw the Red F250 on the side of the road 3 saturdays ago that was us. LOL. Luckily my father in law lives not to far from there and he came and picked up my kids and my boat and drove them all back to League City which is about 2 hrs away. I sat there and waited until 11:30pm for the crazy guy with a roll back wrecker to come load me up to take me home. I got home around 1:30am to my house in L.C. and another wrecker came and towed my F250 "Found On  Road Dead" to the shop the next day. Like I said that was over 3 weeks ago and my truck is just now ready for me to pick up. My trannsmission guy put in a some kind of super heavy duty torque converter with  billet shafts and he added a large custom trannsmission cooler. So, 975.49 and i am back on the road and I am going to test it out this weekend and see if it can tow the Mastercraft back to the "T". What a day that was... By the way a tow to League City from Riverside would have cost me 537.85 if we didn't have AAA.
This is my P.S.A. to all of us who tow these heavy boats all over the place. lol  I would like to suggest AAA. We pay 150.00 for the year and that covers up to 200 miles of towing. Not to mention they will snatch your boat up as well. So the 150.00 is just peace of mind when traveling any where especially when your hauling your boat around.

See you on the T.
IP IP Logged
Holycow
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Holycow Replybullet Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:28pm
Lol!!! We did that about three years ago.
M2SPORTS.COM
GIRLS4SPORT.COM

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version