HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Bethy cut Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
kevboard0825
I need a job
I need a job

Online Status: Offline
Quote kevboard0825 Replybullet Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:14pm
OK guys I think I got something. The other jacks- of- all- trades can chime in at will. Lets think about the current cut. The entrance (from the river) is actually facing upriver at an angle which, when flowing would push mud and silt into it.  What if there were come way to change the angle of the entrance to point down river? That would keep stuff from flowing into the cut and the lake. Just a thought. I guess having that pile of trees there at one point kept this from happening. 
water? Where's the water!
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:44pm
I don't see why that wouldn't work. I also saw some wave runners coming out of that bells place
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
jim.hendrix

Quote jim.hendrix Replybullet Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:07pm
You are correct on both counts Dave S. In my opinion, the cut is low and scary to get through...but others here say they make it. As for the Highway 19 bridge, yes there have been trucks broken into there as well. On a weekend it is crawling with people and it you are unlikely to see trouble. I was there Tuesday and it was empty as church on Super Bowl Sunday.
2011 Malibu Wakesetter VLX - Houston, TX
IP IP Logged
g.grissom

Quote g.grissom Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 9:06am
If any dredging was going to be done, a hydraulic study would be needed to make sure it lasted as long as possible.  The problem is that every time the river rises it pushes water and silt into the cove, and as it hits that wide open area the silt falls out. That will happen regardless of the design of the cut.  As for the cut itself, being narrow is actually good because the natural flow of water in and out and the boat traffic keeps it relatively flushed out. 
The entire North end of the cove near the cut that used to be 10'-15' deep is now 2'-3' at normal pool.  It took 37+ years to get to that point but it would not be practical to dredge the entire area.  Any channel that was dredged out into the cove would fill in pretty quickly. Bulkheading a channel out into the cove would only dump silt farther into the cove.  Sorry I don't have any real solutions, just trying to shed some light on what we are faced with. 

An attempt was made several years ago to get everyone on the cove to chip in for a dredge.  Some would have contributed and some would not.  The majority of property owners on the cove don't have inboard boats and can probably still get through the cut, if they can get their boat in the water.  The folks on the south shoreline (Lakeland) are close to not being able to drop their boats in, so being able to get through the cut is not so important to them. 

Hey Ma, if you could see me now... arms spread wide flipping over the open bow
IP IP Logged
vette74
Board Member
Board Member

Quote vette74 Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 10:55am
You would have to make a jetti into the river to slow it from silting in. Just like what is in Galveston.
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 11:25am
We just need rain or a bunch of brave inboards to cut a deeper channel in lieu of rain.
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
vette74
Board Member
Board Member

Quote vette74 Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 12:33pm
Park in the middle of the cut then tie your boat to trees on either side and slowly bring it up to full throttle.
There'll be two dates on your tombstone/ And all your friends will read 'em/ But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em...
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 1:22pm
You first.
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
Cajun_Misfit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Cajun_Misfit Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 2:26pm
Can we PLEASE make this an open event! I will gladly park my boat about 30yards away, 12 pack in hand, and watch this go down! Anyone is free to join in with me on the "NO WAY IN HELL WILL I RELEASE 350 PONIES TIED TO A TREE" group.

HAHAHAHA but I love the ideas, keep em coming!
IM ON A BOAT... TAKE A LOOK AT ME!
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 11 2011 at 2:27pm
Sounds like a great idea for those closed loop cooling guys
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version