HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Gloves? Post Reply Post New Topic
bmill6154

Online Status: Offline
Quote bmill6154 Replybullet Topic: Gloves?
    Posted: August 01 2011 at 11:14pm
Does anyone recommend a certain glove for wakeboarding? Where to get it locally near Humble and how much?

I have ripped both my hands open wakeboarding now and the last time I went out I went out for a while and my hands were killing me.

I bought what I think is a deccent handle...its an Accurate?? I was told to get a big handle and its pretty soft/foamy like, but it still kills my hands. So now I want gloves, think it will be better for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon
IP IP Logged
Havoc
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Havoc Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 1:35am
I wouldn't spend alot of money on gloves. Just go to M2 sports and grab a pair. I had the same problem and any pair worked for me. I would just get the $20 pair not a $50 pair. I've had both and they both only lasted a season.
POSEIDON, LOOK AT MEEEE!!!!!
IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 5:50am
Before you get gloves try a chamois grip handle, much softer than foam.

IP IP Logged
bmill6154

Quote bmill6154 Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 11:02am
Thanks guys!
IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 12:31pm
I am now using gloves also. I wanted gel palm gloves for medical reasons similar to my weight lifting gloves and our local sponsors didn't have any. I went to Academy to get mine, basically a second pair of my exact weight lifting gloves. I really thought I wanted closed finger, but open finger works just fine. My medical issue is with the tendons on the palm of my hand though, so open finger was ok for me. I think they were less then $30. I have used them for about 3 months or more and they work great and seem to have no significant signs of deteroiration so far.
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN
IP IP Logged
bmill6154

Quote bmill6154 Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 6:27pm
Awesome...sounds like personal preference really...ill just checkem out and see what I like...Im sure they will help me cause my hands have been getting tore up...check this out...was after a jump I made, I guess the rope got loose some how and then tight and ripped right out of my hand...sure thats mainly cause I am a begginner and dont know what im doing.

Im no puss though..kept wakeboarding even after tearing them up like that and had no gloves.

IP IP Logged
n.jones
I need a job
I need a job

Quote n.jones Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 9:02pm
damn bro... that sucks, but so do gloves
- NORTH JONES -
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: August 03 2011 at 7:39am
Ouch man! I must be doing something wrong, I've never had anything like that happen. I usually let go when I feel an edge start to catch so I don't eat it as hard. Yeah, I'm a wuss, but that water all up in your sinuses and in your lungs is no fun.

Are you riding with a death grip on the handle? What's the material on your handle like? I've had both the soft smooth foam and textured foam and both have been ok on my hands.
IP IP Logged
Havoc
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Havoc Replybullet Posted: August 03 2011 at 10:36am
That's what happen to my hands but on a botched start. Just ripped the handle out of my hands. Now I just wakeboard with the rope in my fingertips and it works well.
POSEIDON, LOOK AT MEEEE!!!!!
IP IP Logged
bmill6154

Quote bmill6154 Replybullet Posted: August 03 2011 at 10:56am
Yeah I have noticed it trying to rip out of my heads like that on starts too...I tried using finger tips and it was still killing me. My brother (new2wake) has been using the same handle and it hasnt happen to him nor has he complained about his hands hurting so I just think its my baby soft computer hands...LOL.

I work out at the gym and I don't use gloves at the gym and I get calluses on my hands from lifting. I then think those calluses get soft in the water and thats how the above happened when the rope ripped out of my hands.
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: August 03 2011 at 12:34pm
My buddy likes to have the throttle jammed wide open on starts, he's pretty good at popping right out. I prefer a smooth roll on start (not slow, but not whacked wide open either)

I've got soft hands too, LOL! Sitting at a computer all day will do that to you. I thought your pics looked like a blister or callous or something there.
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: August 24 2011 at 7:38am
Interestingly, one of my other friends had a callous ripped off of his palm next to his ring finger on Friday.

I got a new rope (dyneema)/handle that has a different texture and and this is the first time we've used it. I asked him about it and he told me that he used to work out and had built up some callouses.

He's been out with me a bunch and never had this happen so it may be a combination of zero stretch rope and grippier handle.
IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 25 2011 at 5:53am
The more you ride the less this will happen, your hands get use to it and you learn how to properly get up without much stress on the hands at all. Once you have proper form you can even get out of the water backwards!

IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 28 2011 at 9:58pm
I have never had an issue with this but my cousin came out with us a few weekends ago for his first time on a wakeboard and he kept having this happen.  not sure if he was just gripping it too hard or what.  I did take one nasty fall towards the end where the rope even came off the tower and i got a slight blood blister but it didnt hurt.
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
Roach
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Roach Replybullet Posted: August 29 2011 at 2:04pm
That happened to me at the cable park. Its been 2 weeks and just now healing. I went to academy and picked up some more neoprene work out gloves with the finger tips off. These are what I have always used behind the boat and for the price you cant beat them.
Pulling trix in 06
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version