HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Alligators Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 01 2011 at 6:02am
We go north to bedias creek and south all the way to where the river empties into the lake no problems. Its deep both ways.

IP IP Logged
jim.hendrix

Quote jim.hendrix Replybullet Posted: August 01 2011 at 9:25pm
We saw this 6 foot alligator on the Trinity this Saturday, July 30. He was north of the Highway 19 Bridge, just past the cut and in front of that old house boat. He was a very bold guy. I could get within 50 feet of him with my motor running then he would submerge. When I turned it off, he would surface a couple minutes later.

He was on bank initially but swam all the way across to the other bank after a bit. I had my little .380 with me and certainly would have left his carcass for the fish if it weren’t for the people on the bank watching. (It is illegal to shoot them in open waterways…but my thoughts are that the only good gator is a dead gator.)

I had heard that they were on the Trinity and of course I heard about the Dallas Lawyer and the 13 footer he killed. But I really thought that the gators would stay in the sloughs and swampy areas off the main channel.

So I came home and did even more research and I personally believe that the danger is so minimal that it is worth the risk.

The fact is that Somerville, Conroe, Livingston, Houston, and even Travis in Austin have alligators. You can’t get away from them living in this area. So you have a choice to face sharks in the ocean, alligators in fresh water, or stay on land.

I found out a lot of information before I came to the conclusion that I would allow my sixteen year old daughter to go in the water at Trinity again. Perhaps it helps that we have been there so many times. If I had known this for certain before we ever went, we may not have gone. But you just cannot beat the water for wakeboarding…smooth as butter and straight for miles.

There are two primary facts that I found out: 1) There has never been a fatal alligator attack in Texas and 2) There has never been any alligator attack on any water skier or wakeboarder.

So I applaud your efforts to find out more. I suggest you double check my facts, think about the potential risks, and come to a decision that makes you comfortable. Below are a couple of links you may want to check out.

We saw this 6 foot alligator on the Trinity this Saturday, July 30. He was north of the Highway 19 Bridge, just past the cut and in front of that old house boat. He was a very bold guy. I could get within 50 feet of him with my motor running then he would submerge. When I turned it off, he would surface a couple minutes later.

He was on bank initially but swam all the way across to the other bank after a bit. I had my little .380 with me and certainly would have left his carcass for the fish if it weren’t for the people on the bank watching. (It is illegal to shoot them in open waterways…but my thoughts are that the only good gator is a dead gator.)

I had heard that they were on the Trinity and of course I heard about the Dallas Lawyer and the 13 footer he killed. But I really thought that the gators would stay in the sloughs and swampy areas off the main channel.

So I came home and did even more research and I personally believe that the danger is so minimal that it is worth the risk.

The fact is that Somerville, Conroe, Livingston, Houston, and even Travis in Austin have alligators. You can’t get away from them living in this area. So you have a choice to face sharks in the ocean, alligators in fresh water, or stay on land.

I found out a lot of information before I came to the conclusion that I would allow my sixteen year old daughter to go in the water at Trinity again. Perhaps it helps that we have been there so many times. If I had known this for certain before we ever went, we may not have gone. But you just cannot beat the water for wakeboarding…smooth as butter and straight for miles.

There are two primary facts that I found out: 1) There has never been a fatal alligator attack in Texas and 2) There has never been any alligator attack on any water skier or wakeboarder.

So I applaud your efforts to find out more. I suggest you double check my facts, think about the potential risks, and come to a decision that makes you comfortable. Below are a couple of links you may want to check out.

Alligator Attacks in Florida

Alligator Deaths in U.S.
2011 Malibu Wakesetter VLX - Houston, TX
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 07 2011 at 10:18pm
saw a dead gator on the trinity today north of the 19 bridge.  looked to be pretty good size but he was upside down and up against the bank
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version