HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Cable Riders: Please Read Post Reply Post New Topic
Justin h.
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Justin h. Replybullet Topic: Cable Riders: Please Read
    Posted: July 08 2011 at 3:08pm
Since most all of us, including myself, are new to cable. There is one rule/tip that you should obey to stay safe and have fun at the park.

When you fall on a feature, swim clear immediately and then take your board off.

Last night I almost killed a guy on the transfer at Wake Nation Houston. He was at least two or three carriers in front of me, so I did not see him fall. I came flying down the trapezoid (out of view) and right on to the guy's head--Well, Almost.

Even beyond safety it is a matter of courtesy. There is nothing worse than taking a whole lap around the park working something out in your head to find someone bobbing right in front of a kicker or rail taking their board off. Now, sometimes blocking a feature is unavoidable, but steer it clear as quickly as possible.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12968
IP IP Logged
Cobia5
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Cobia5 Replybullet Posted: July 08 2011 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the info. Cable riding is a great addition to the sport and we always want to be safe when riding. We are fortunate to have prominent cable parks arive in Houston.
Kyle
IP IP Logged
Justin h.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Justin h. Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 9:59am
Okay, I am starting to feel like the cable police, and I'm still a beginner, but there is another topic I would like to cover.

Line cutting. It is just not cool, even if you can get away with it. There is nothing worse than standing in the hot sun waiting your turn and having a "bro-bro" mosey up to the front of the line, throw a dap to the operator, talk about how wasted they got last night and take the first opportunity to snake a spot in front of a beginner who would never have the guts to say anything. Wakeskating is not an excuse either.

There are exceptions. If you work at the park and decide to take a few laps over a cigarette break--you can cut in front of me anytime. If you get a double feed and are forced to drop, ask permission, but most will be cool with it. There are others too, but it in general make sure it is cool with everyone first.

I just want to keep the peace. Sunday it was packed at Wake Nation, the line was moving slow and several people in line were getting rightfully put-out.

IP IP Logged
c640947__
Recruit
Recruit

Quote c640947__ Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:27am
justin glad you said something about this.  There are a few guys there that do this consistently and it is beginning to get on people's nerves.  Everybody wants to get back on and ride as soon as possible, especially when it is really hot, but have a little respect for your fellow riders.  Line cutters may think beginners are beneath them, but remember the beginners are a main revenue generator for a park and without them there would be no park.
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.
IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 12:36pm
Line-cutting-probably one main reason I don't go to cables. Can the employees seriously not police this a little better? Same as line-cutting at the boat ramp, on the highway, etc, just ignorant and disrespectful to everyone else. If I was there, I would probably speak up then get thrown out, lol.
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN
IP IP Logged
Kamighazi
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Kamighazi Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 1:36pm
Justin I got your back on the get the hell out the way immediately. Something i actively think about every time I'm in the drink. But that's the ways of the cable, have to look out for one another. I almost got my head cut off at TSR b/c some "cable wally" (i'm one too) didnt even care to look before he launched off the kicker right after I fell. We had words. I am always scanning ahead to see what lines are flopping around the system. That way at least you know you need to look before you rip it.

Cutting? haven't had that issues since the 4th grade lunch line. I see you cut, we'll have words. I went out last Wednesday, and didn't even ride. It took the fallen rider (once in line) 16 minutes to get back on the cable. the line was almost to the grass.

If I'm waiting patiently on a weekday to squeeze at most 7 runs in, and someone gets in front of me all "velvet rope" style on me, we're gonna have words.

Apart from cost. Why don't cable systems have a second loader? when the line is long, i don't hit stuff on the far side just because the walk takes too long to get back in a long line. if there was close loader on the back side. i would fall more back there, you'd get more throughput and wearing my butt out faster, and stop riding.

In the end, it ain't boat. we're all spoiled and a bit self serving coming from the boat.
IP IP Logged
Justin h.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Justin h. Replybullet Posted: August 02 2011 at 1:49pm
Second loader. Wow, that is actually genius.

Thanks for the support. I'm not getting on here to be a nag. I just don't want to see anyone get there head taken off on the lake...or in the line.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version