HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Lake Houston update - it's not good Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Cajun_Misfit
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Cajun_Misfit Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:24pm
Just watched the 12 o'clock news. Lake Conroe has begun releasing water to Lake Houston. They say that they expect Lake Houston to be at full pool by Friday!

Also Lake Houston will be releasing water near the end of the week for irrigation reasons. More importantly the LSJ will be getting some much needed fresh water!

TIME TO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM ON A BOAT... TAKE A LOOK AT ME!
IP IP Logged
Cajun_Misfit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Cajun_Misfit Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:29pm
http://www.khou.com/news/Officials-50-million-gallons-of-Lake-Conroe-to-be-released-into-Lake-Houston-due-to-drought-127825218.html
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:50pm
This would also fill the usj????
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
Kamighazi
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Kamighazi Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:50pm
Full pool by Friday? I'll believe it when i see it. Anyone got a shredder so we can mow the grass on USJ, in case it is true?

Fred- YUP! haha

IP IP Logged
Cajun_Misfit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Cajun_Misfit Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 1:56pm
I agree with you but that's what the "officials" are claiming.

Edited by Cajun_Misfit - August 16 2011 at 1:58pm
IP IP Logged
ProZachJ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote ProZachJ Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:34pm
Once the water flows into LH and LC shuts the gates the USJ will dry right back up. Right?
Purple hippos don't lie...this $#!* is addictive.
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by ProZachJ

Once the water flows into LH and LC shuts the gates the USJ will dry right back up. Right?

Eventually....
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:10pm
I'd be in heaven if it was full pool by Friday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Very rough guestimation and possibly completely wrong math here:
LH Surface area 11,854 acres
LC Surface area 21,000 acres

LH Surface area is 56% of LC. If LC sends 1 inch of its water surface area down river to LH, it would raise LH by 1.77 inches. So 6 inches of water from LC per week is roughly 10.6 inches. Not even a foot. We'd need about 5 or 6 feet by Friday.

Hopefully we'll see the trend here:
http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp

IP IP Logged
kporsch
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kporsch Replybullet Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:21pm

The engineer in me also broke out the calculator with similar guestimates that you made.  They plan to let out 3.5 in per week at Conroe which would only fill lake Houston at a rate of 6 in per week.  So 14 weeks to fill Houston back up, but all the reports I have seen say they only plan to let out enough water to keep the level about the water intakes (37 ft MSL).

IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 5:48am
Yes I think the officials have their numbers wrong, also if the lake is full the usj is also full because it is part of the lake for all intensive purposes. Its crazy to see how much more the water has gone down in the last couple of weeks with the constant 100 degree temps. I would say at least 1.5 ft in a matter of two weeks.

IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 5:52am
Kevin would the volume of lake conroe to lake houston have any effect, I know the volume of lake conroe to lake houston is much greater because the average depth of lake conroe is quite a bit more than lake houstons depth, so 1 inch from conroe may fill houston up more.

IP IP Logged
c640947__
Recruit
Recruit

Quote c640947__ Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 10:56am
Given how much we are down, I think its a forgone conclusion that the summer is over for anyone wanting to ride the USJ.

That being said, there is a bright spot in some posts above and what I have seen on the news: debris clearing.  So it sounds like some of you guys are working on stumps on the way to the river around the island and on the river itself?  Is there more that needs to be done up there?

Now visible south of the railroad tracks is a long row of 30-50 stumps that I plan to start working on this or next weekend.  However, the priority would be stumps on the river since that is where people hit them most.  But if you guys took care of most of them, ill focus on the ones on the lake.  I planned on lighting them on fire - they are on a new island in the middle of the lake.  No chance of the fire spreading from there.

Anyone know how aggressive the lake houston police are in removing stumps?  They shouldn't have much else to do right now....
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:38pm
Let this drought be a lesson to the city and the state.  We have a near unlimited water supply just south of Houston known as the Gulf of Mexico.  Now this supply does have salt in the water but the salt can be removed.  We need to start building desalinization plants to help maintain reservoir level and supply water in times of drought. 
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
Larry

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: August 18 2011 at 9:03am
IP IP Logged
skyski_tige
I need a job
I need a job

Quote skyski_tige Replybullet Posted: August 18 2011 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by rdlangston13

Let this drought be a lesson to the city and the state.  We have a near unlimited water supply just south of Houston known as the Gulf of Mexico.  Now this supply does have salt in the water but the salt can be removed.  We need to start building desalinization plants to help maintain reservoir level and supply water in times of drought. 

They would also need to filter the oil...

SJRA have increased the flow.  100M gallons per day now.  If no significant rain this year, city of Houston could take 3 feet by end of 2011.  That would put Lake Conroe down 7 feet going into 2012. 

Edited by skyski_tige - August 18 2011 at 4:04pm
"If it's not fun, why do it?"
IP IP Logged
kevboard0825
I need a job
I need a job

Quote kevboard0825 Replybullet Posted: August 19 2011 at 4:43pm
The Bayou yesterday was cool, smooth, and not very salty at all. I don't see the problem. LOL! but seeing as LH was my old spot, I hate that all of you are out of luck. 
water? Where's the water!
IP IP Logged
rdlangston13
Groupie
Groupie

Quote rdlangston13 Replybullet Posted: August 20 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by skyski_tige

Originally posted by rdlangston13

They would also need to filter the oil...

i work in the gulf, i aint seen a drop of oil since may 2010.  in fact i see 50 feet straight down to our pontoons.
2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III Ballast, Wake Plate, Z5 Cargo Rack, 3 Pairs of Exile SX65c, 2 Pairs of Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon 1K, Exile SM600.1 600, Exile Xi800.4 800.
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: August 21 2011 at 9:23am
I went out exploring the sandbars on my jetski yesterday and found a wallet on one of them. Turns out it had two twenties and five hundred dollar bills in it. Unfortunately it also had an ID, CC's and a SS card which made it easy to determine that it belongs to someone who lives nearby in Water's Edge. This dude is going to be shocked when i contact him.

On another note does anyone know why if they are letting water out of Conroe the lake levels have not risen? I have not been following the latetst.
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: August 22 2011 at 7:52am
Kudos to you for doing the right thing man! One time my wife forgot her purse on the bus, a rider brought it to the driver and the driver brought it to our house. Makes you feel good to know that there are honest good people in the world.
IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 22 2011 at 9:59am
At first I thought you said five hundred dollar bills and well you could guess where I thought he was going. hahaha

I agree if they are letting water out its evaporatin before it gets to Lake Houston.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version