HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Lake Houston update - it's not good Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 5 Next >>
LawyerBoarder

Online Status: Offline
Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Topic: Lake Houston update - it's not good
    Posted: June 30 2011 at 6:10pm

Several friends have been asking about the conditions on Lake Houston with the drought, so with the holiday weekend upon us I thought I would post this as a PSA to all members:

Deussen Park: Sailboat ramp is closed. Main ramp is open but probably too shallow for anything but a pontoon or bassboat. I have seen wakeboats dredging through the mud and successfully launching as recently as last weekend. Had a friend bend his prop on his Tige launching there 3 weeks ago. I would be very cautious esp if you have a larger boat.

Lake Houston Marina - Ramp is closed. Looks like they were bulldozing the old ramp entirely as of earlier today.

USJ access from Lake Houston - There is virtually no water and there hasn't been for months. You would have more fun in a four wheeler in this area than a watercraft. A jetski could not make it through right now. A kayak might make it through if you push it through certain areas.

Kingwood ramp/USJ - I can't get up there but it was barely navigable when the water was 2-3 feet higher. I would think the KW ramp is closed but I have not verified.

Skier's cove - Money if you can get there. There are lots of stumps/shallow spots surfacing in the HUMP (middle of lake across from skier's cove).

Hope this helps. We should be out this weekend. Hit me up if you want a pull!

Mark
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.
IP IP Logged
olmoomba
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote olmoomba Replybullet Posted: June 30 2011 at 8:41pm
From the photos I have seen of Kingwood ramp, it is better to hit that with a 4wheeler, the USJ has been reduced to a ditch with a huge beach on either side. The no wake buoy is sitting upright on the sand. Beyond not pretty, down right ugly.

Good luck to everyone this weekend, we are headed to MS to go do yard work and hunt squirrels at the grandparents farm.

BE SAFE guys!
Respect ma authoratah!
IP IP Logged
ProZachJ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote ProZachJ Replybullet Posted: June 30 2011 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the update... Sounds lame....lame and moe lame...
Purple hippos don't lie...this $#!* is addictive.
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:06am
The upside for those of us on the lake is that there is no boat traffic.

Another upside is the water level is down below the bulkhead in many areas which means no rollers!
Personal injury lawyer and wakeboarder. Because my business is based primarily on referrals, I thank you in advance for your endorsement. Visit my homepage: www.markoehl.com.
IP IP Logged
TexMic

Quote TexMic Replybullet Posted: July 01 2011 at 8:37am
Thanks for the update! I put in on the 10th at Duessen and I could barely get near the dock without dragging, I had less than two feet under the keel. One of my buddies was wanting to try the sailboat ramp thinking that it might be deeper, but that's obviously not an option now

I don't know how accurate it is, but this site lists the water level for the lake. It's ugly!

http://houston.uslakes.info/Level.asp
IP IP Logged
MichaelF44
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MichaelF44 Replybullet Posted: July 01 2011 at 7:38pm
Pics?
IP IP Logged
new2wake

Quote new2wake Replybullet Posted: July 01 2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by LawyerBoarder

The upside for those of us on the lake is that there is no boat traffic.

Another upside is the water level is down below the bulkhead in many areas which means no rollers!

so where do you plan to launch? we were gonna try duessen on monday.
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 02 2011 at 6:25am
I live on the lake so the boat ramp closures are a nonissue. But if I had to launch Deussen is really the only option other than perhaps some of the private neighbohood ramps.
IP IP Logged
new2wake

Quote new2wake Replybullet Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:19pm
I live on the lake so the boat ramp closures are a nonissue. But if I had to launch Deussen is really the only option other than perhaps some of the private neighbohood ramps.

hook us up bro.
IP IP Logged
silvtongdvl
I need a job
I need a job

Quote silvtongdvl Replybullet Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:40am
we found a place to launch - had the dam - newport area all to ourselves and it was smoooooooooth. Best water weekend ever !!!!!  
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:27am
Update: Lake Houston now officially down 6 ft. and still dropping at a good clip.
IP IP Logged
c640947__
Recruit
Recruit

Quote c640947__ Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 1:58pm
Sorry, I keep hearing people say this 6 feet statistic.  According to the website I use, it is down roughly 4 feet.  Doesnt sound like much, but thats a big difference on a shallow lake like lake houston.

I believe this is the cause for the 6 foot statistic.  They changed the standard guage height per the wording below on the link above.

"Datum of gage changed from 0.70 ft below NGVD 1929 to NAVD 1988, 2001 adjustment, on Oct. 1, 2009. New datum is 2.77 ft below previous datum."

Normal level is 42-42.5 and we are around 38.
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.
IP IP Logged
c640947__
Recruit
Recruit

Quote c640947__ Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:01pm
Scott - where did you find to launch? 

I was there cleaning up around my dock Saturday and saw the crazy looking stump field in the middle of the lake.  Not a soul on the entire lake.  Smooth as glass.  I will be there next weekend and will have to take my better camera and get some pics.  Pretty crazy looking.  That will be right after I mow the grass under my dock.  :-(
site problems. old handle was c640947. Oddly enough, my old handle stopped working at exactly 1000 posts.
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:10pm
Andrew - they must have changed the def of normal. I guarantee the level is down 6 ft YTD. I monitor the USGS site as well. It will allow you to chart 120 days. if you do, it will show the water being down 4 ft. See below. The water was going down long before March 26. I dont think there is any place to launch a wakeboat on Lake Houston right now. it is like having a private lake if you can get on the water.

Graph of  Gage height, feet
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:13pm

Here is the site that says Lake Houston is down 6.1 ft.:

Water Level
FEET

Monday, July 18, 2011
10:03:00 AM
Level is 6.10 feet
below full pool of 44.00
IP IP Logged
c640947__
Recruit
Recruit

Quote c640947__ Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 2:46pm
Attached are the statistics from USGS for the last 3 years. 

Notice the pool storage level didn't change, but the guage height dropped 2 feet in fall of 2009 on one day?  The statement below shows they just changed how they were measuring the guage height but the lake level didn't change:

"Datum of gage changed from 0.70 ft below NGVD 1929 to NAVD 1988, 2001 adjustment, on Oct. 1, 2009. New datum is 2.77 ft below previous datum."

Notice how the normal level of the guage since fall of 2009 is roughly 42.5?  They basically adjusted the measuring point down 2.77 feet.  The actual level of the lake didn't change in fall of 2009 and most will agree last winter (Jan/Feb 2010) the lake was at normal levels.  It started dropping in March and noticeably by April.

So believe what you will,but I am pretty sure we are down 4 not 6 feet.  Plus I know the "new" shore line would be a heck of a lot further out from my place if we were down 6 feet.  (hope we get there though - i want to do some stump burning.)
IP IP Logged
LawyerBoarder

Quote LawyerBoarder Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 3:17pm
This is an issue I want to be wrong on.
IP IP Logged
MichaelF44
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MichaelF44 Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 3:23pm
IP IP Logged
Dave S
I need a job
I need a job

Quote Dave S Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 5:57pm
may not even be possible at this point because the water is to low but someone measure down from a dock that has a known watermark elevation to the current water surface elevation, then you will get water drop regardless of datum referenced. let's see what that is.

Edited by Dave S - July 18 2011 at 6:04pm
Friends don't let friends POWER TURN
IP IP Logged
Larry

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: July 18 2011 at 6:13pm
Spring Creek has risen about 3 foot... in grass. We have been getting some rain on the north side but I think we need another Allison to come through here to make things right. Thank goodness for the T!
IP IP Logged
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version