HOME | CLUB INFO | ON THE WATER | LINKS | PICS & VIDS | CALENDAR | SPONSORS | M. BOARD

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 GCWA Forum : Wakeboard Chit Chat : General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Format for Events & Freerides Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
D-RO
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote D-RO Replybullet Topic: Format for Events & Freerides
    Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:44am

Lets look at adding and changing a few things to make the events even better.

Add a kids division and womens division for future events. Womans division for DBL Up @ Fall Bash.

Run Wakeskate first and add some sliders or a funbox to get the crowd there earlier. Majority showed up 12-1. This would give more hours of exposure for the sponsors.

Put Ski Reels on Towers of Boats and everyone rides with the same handle. I think that much time is wasted in changing out ropes and it isn't going to make that much difference down and back. Wrapped tricks????

This Monday morning is tough......stick to Saturday Events.

Look into bringing in BMX, Skaters, .....etc. to open up more sponsorship potential and add to the overall venue.

Ride Slider Comp or Outlaw under the lights. Vol. Fire Dept for firework demo.

Showdown was great! Everyone did a great job! Lets talk it up to make it even better.

Have any other ideas? Nothing is impossible!

IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:21am
I agree with kids and women divisions. I would have rode if I wasn't competing against a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds. It is also a little less intimidating if the women are together. Just a thought.
IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:30am
Guys we had to do Sun because of the weather and conflicting dates. We did what we could to make this event happen. I can tell you right know riders will not be happy wo their own rope, If we had started earlier and killed the warm up sessions we might get it over sooner. Womens sounds good and so does an age limit on beginner kids, after beginner I wouldnt change a thing.

IP IP Logged
RICHSUR
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote RICHSUR Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:31am
Daniel come be a board member and help out, it is hard work and I think you, bj, trip and tony would do well. Bring some more diversity to our party.

IP IP Logged
Trey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Trey Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:47am

Please add any suggestions for the events.... be honest.. no hard feelings, as I'm going to copy this email for the planning of next years event. 

Mine: We need a kids division, not sure about a woman's.. we have a good deal of female riders, but they are at different levels...

Snowcone sales -

Must be on a Saturday

Need to start earlier... we had 98 riders yesterday and finished at dark.. we are going to need to start earlier and have practice sets on another day.  We'll have to work that out.

Ropes... I wanted to run one rope for Beg. and Int..... but was asked by others to allow to bring there own... so we did.. the tournament was designed for the kids to be able to feel like pros...

SkiReel is another story... I like that idea, we tried... but it didn't work out this go around... hopefully next year, we'll be able to make it happen... Ski Reel was ready and willing.. just a little mis communication

Gas - Gas has been the achilles heal of h-town showdown... I think next year we will be invest on one of those NASCAR gas cans that fill in a matter of seconds.

Edited by Trey
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 11:53am
I think with the womens it should be done like the mens. Different levels/categories. I think the kids cut off age should be around 12 or 13, then after that they compete with everyone else. Just a suggestion
IP IP Logged
bigscoot
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bigscoot Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 12:23pm

It was my first tournament so i prob. only have a little say so but the age limit on kids wouldnt be a bad idea for both the little kids and the older people that ride so maybe the younger kids that are really just starting ride have a chance to win a little something so that it might keep them motivated and want to keep on progressing in the sport. However, for the older beg. i know there is mixed feelings about the younger kids riding but it would be good for them to so they could also win and want to keep on riding in tournaments.  

Also i think it would help to start a little earlier that way everyone could use there own ropes that way there would be no controversy at the end about ropes and handles being used.    

But overall I had a great time and enjoyed hanging out with everyone, cant wait to do it again.

LATER
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 1:02pm

I know, one of my long posts, but i try to help when I can! just my 2cents

I think a womans class alone would be good the kel and erin would have done it for sure. hopefully i will grow a set and do it next year!

ways to go faster-

Gas - couldn't you alternate two of the same boats and use them all day then fill one in the garage dock while another is pulling? or alternate different boats between classes and fill then? were the sacs filled?

Ropes-we sat right at the ramp and watched them fuss with every rope that was thrown to the boat, ok to use own rope but maybe have it untangled and tie the rope to a floater or some thing and toss that into the boat, then the are not thrring a tangled mess, if own rope is necc. or everyone use one rope?

Food-not sure if food went for donations or not, if not maybe have someone with a trailer (fair trailer) sell more food? we got sandwiches at 2 or 3 and they were cold?

Proshop-great to have sales to get rid of 05' equip. I bought kel a board and bindings and erin got new bindings! Maybe more changing rooms so people can change into there suit if they decide to get into the water after they get there. I would have liked to see more boats on display with prices maybe? they were all covered up in the corner? I would have liked to look at more boats, preowned and new.

Everything else-great, d.j., weather, rave tubes and tramp to play on, great for the kids if they get bored easily. staff inside was very helpful.

maybe dum me, but why was the driver doing extras turns to set the d-up? last year they were hitting them right in front of the crowd?

IP IP Logged
goofyboy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote goofyboy Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 1:49pm

Gas - not a bad idea, except we are using donated boats.  We can't be picky.  the gas thing is a necessary evil.

Ropes - I was working the dock and making sure riders were ready to go.  When they hit the dock, their ropes were rolled properly and were ready to go.  However, ropes tangle.  Just part of the sport.  If we had more volunteers to help out with different aspects of the day, then we could have had someone helping on the dock with the riders ropes.  I was able to help some later in the day with the advanced and expert riders. 

Women's Division - there were 5 women.  We could run one division for women... however, a woman made the podium in beginner.  Also, i know one of the women kicked my butt in intermidiate.  So, it is sort of a double edge sword.  But I am sure the board will take into consideration next year

Kids - age limit division... good idea in theory - but here again, there is a 11 year old that can almost qualify for intermidate.  So, where do you draw the line? 

Start Time - This depends on the day... The tourny needs to be on a Saturday.  Also, if the time changes, there will be no practice runs.  So, everyone will have to go out that weekend before and practice all  you can!

Thank you everyone for coming out and making it a successful day. We had over 100 riders and i think it went pretty good.  Thank you for your patience and understanding with any issues that came up during the day.  It takes a lot of effort and time to pull off something like yesterday.  To the board members, volunteers, and people that we begged to help out at the last minute (you know who you are) - thank you.  you saved our butts a couple of times!  I am looking forward to doing it again next year.  see you guys at Fall Bash!

Yawn.
IP IP Logged
Trey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Trey Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 2:01pm

Dave and/or Kel -

We will work on a women's division... but I will mention we are going to have some early commitment from the female riders.... we can't run a division that has less than 8-10 people in it... and be able to provide adequate prizes to everyone

We are going to work on the gas issue

Maybe we should have 2 dock guys and 1 rope guy on the boat... maybe we'll request everyone that doesn't care to use the same rope... no idea... I usually ride the same rope as the rider in front of me..

Food - we can try to address

The extra turn in the double up was for goofy riders... in order to throw a double up for those.. they had to get a bit tricky... I got caght off guard as it was thrown a little early due to the swimming area that was created. 

Edited by Trey
IP IP Logged
D-RO
Groupie
Groupie

Quote D-RO Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 2:12pm

Rich, I'm down with why it was on Sunday and it is a ton of hard work. I have done this in more than one sport. I would love to be a GCWA Board Member, but the meetings are far for me.  I have kids and my time is mostly spent on school work and other school related activities. I have said time and time again that if someone would delegate something for me to do, I'll get it taken care of. This wasn't created to get ya excited or to bash the event at all. IT WAS GREAT!  100 riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!Energy is still high from yesterday keep it going till the next one.

Message to all: If you have plenty of time on your hands counting beer, men/woman and your credit card receipts you should involve yourself more with the board members and assist them with these events.

Everyone likes a party, just never the clean up. Same thing happens with an event.

Let me know what I can do for Fall Bash. Until then, everyone keep the ideas going.

IP IP Logged
rjunior

Quote rjunior Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 3:37pm
We need to talk about fall bash real soon, it's only about a month away.
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 4:18pm
If you need any help w/ fall bash let me know. I will step up and help.
IP IP Logged
04gravitygames
Elite
Elite

Quote 04gravitygames Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 4:34pm

Yes fall Bash. Lets talk about it.

Chris H...

IP IP Logged
goofyboy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote goofyboy Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 5:01pm
give us board members a week (or at least a few days to rest)... we will get on it, i promise! 
Yawn.
IP IP Logged
JBwakebrdr
I need a job
I need a job

Quote JBwakebrdr Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 5:09pm
yes indeed give us a few days PLEASE!! i think all of us are feeling it after this weekend!
IP IP Logged
rjunior

Quote rjunior Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 6:03pm
NO YOU DON'T GET ANY REST! Get your butts back in the board room and come up with a plan. MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT.
IP IP Logged
clasSICKsupra

Quote clasSICKsupra Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 6:29pm

Maybe you should keep the divisions the same and do what you all were thinking about and just give the best girl riders in each division an award?  They are still riding against the guys, but they will still have their own competition between themselves.  Just a suggestion. 

I definitely think that there needs to be a kids division though.  They need some sort of inspiration not intimidation!

If bullsh*t was electricity, you'd be a powerhouse!
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 8:42pm

My 2cents and I was not there.

We have been double boating our INT stops and it works great. Doesn't have to be the same boat as long as you are pulling a complete division with the same boat. Especially works well with the lower divisions that tend to be large. When 1 boat is running the other is getting ready to pull.

As for Fall Bash if we make rules and post how and when we are going to run something that is how it needs to be. Not wait for someone else to show or change the rules after we start. Make sure all rules are clearly laid out in a riders meeting.

Ski Reel would work well or just change handles and use the same rope. 

D-RO FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

IP IP Logged
Denise
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Denise Replybullet Posted: August 15 2005 at 9:02pm

Ropes are a "personal" preference. It's like asking someone to use the same vest, board and bindings, binding lubes etc. Like the wise BiggDawgg once said..."ya don't take a new dance partner to the dance and expect to do well". (Leave the ropes alone).

Double boating and Nascar gas is all ya need.

IMO everything was butter! We really enjoyied ourselves.

As far as running late, GCWA had nothing (duh) to do with the weather, ya'll had to call it for awhile, and you did what was right. You won't hear any complaints here. Logan's been riding comps for 6 years so we've seen ALL kinds of mother nature!

Edited by Denise
It's what's right, not who's right...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version